View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Line for suited ace in the SB

The only place I can see myself deviating from your line is the river. If checking is likely to induce a bluff significantly frequently, go for it (you list two UTGs in the reads, so I presume this is the first one: sLP-A), but I'm inclined to bet/fold most of the time. It's similar to auto-betting a 4-flush out of position (Clarkmeister's theorum)... everyone but predictably bluffy opponents are likely to check behind hands with hands we beat, but bet hands that beat us, making checking OOP worse than betting if we're prepared to fold to a raise.

This isn't a good flop to try for a c/r. If UTG is only slightly loose pf, it's not hugely likely that he hit. The others are passive, and we can't expect a bet unless the board hit them hard. I bet this roughtly all the time with TPTK and the BD nut flush draw. We can't do much about OESDs, but we're giving 4 and 5 out draws incorrect odds and we don't want it checking through -- not only would we give a free card, we'd miss a value bet.

On the turn, we're pretty happy with an overcard. It's not exactly a blank, but neither is it particularly scary. We probably have the best hand, don't want to give a free card, and can fold to a c/r in this pot, so we bet.