View Single Post
Old 12-01-2002, 06:28 AM

Default Was this punishment fair ? (longish)

Playing in a UB 20+2 NL tournament 1. prize around $450 2. and 3. a little less and some consolation prizes to the rest on the final table.

Blinds 150-300 16 players left. I am chip leader in the small blind at my table with 8100 , the button has 7500. The rest of the table had 1000-4000.

I am dealt Ah 2h.

All fold to the button who makes a standard raise of 3 times the big blind. I normally do not play marginal hands against the chip leaders, but this time i get flies in my head and call leaving me with 7350. I think I should either have made a pot sized raise or folded. Any comments ?

The pot is now 2100.

The flop comes 3h 5h 5s, giving me a gut shot sthraight flush draw.

I bet the pot leaving me with 6150 but now the button moves all in. I think it is very unlikely he is bluffing here so he has a big pair or a 5. I think I have to call. I have 10 outs (the heart that makes my opponent a full house dont count) and if an ace is an out I have 12 outs. I cannot get raised anymore and the pot is laying me around
2:1 on a little worse than 1:1 shot.

I call and my opponent has Aces killing two of my outs so I only have 38% chances of winning with my ten outs. I lose and soon blinds out of the tournament.

Is the pot odds thinking here flawed ? If I win i will be in great shape to get one of the three first places. If I fold I will still have a good chance of getting there.

But should I take that kind of marginal chances in a tournament (especially late in the tournament). I think it would be a clear call in a ring game.

Kim