View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Improve Your Poker by Bob Ciaffone

I think this is a decent and worthwhile book. I liked MLHP better... this one is structured a lot like the Poker Essays by Mason -- a collection of short chapters on various subjects... There is a lot of good advice in these books. Personally, I think Ciaffone is a nice contrast to 2+2. He does appear weak-tight sometimes but I think it is kind of a bad rap. I find that when the action is really hotter than you would think given what you know about the players, adjusting your 'outs' down often makes sense -- and what appears weak-tight to some, can actually be quite savvy poker. But the devil is in the details and you just have to sniff out the right play... I think Ciaffone has good poker sense and probably saves a lot of bets. Does he lose large pots because he lays down too much?? well that is the question. who knows?

Personally, I like to risk-adjust my outs when the action just feels wrong relative to what I know about the style of the players... reading this forum, it seems everyone flames everyone for showing any kind of non-aggression.. yet every other thread is about monster 'downswings'... hmm. I still have lots to learn but I think Ciaffones books are well worth reading.