View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Sticky Home Game Means New Rule?

This is one of my very few pet-peeves during a social game. I put all of the following list of people in the same category: <ul type="square"> [*]Guys who love to call the board... announcing that a flush or straight is possible.
[*]Guys who show their hand to other guys while action is still going.
[*]Guys who folded that make comments about how good their hand would have been if they hadn't folded once they see the flop.[/list]All of these are inevitable at a social game, and I'm not going to be the dick who calls them out on it (unless it's really getting out of hand).

I also try to use it to my advantage... if the board is Q-9-9 and I have a Q, I don't mind hearing guys who folded complain that they would have had trips (just means there is one less 9 I've got to worry about). Also, it doesn't hurt when I've missed my straight but a third suit comes on the river and someone makes a comment about how there is a flush possible (in that case, I can represent that flush with a good bet and get the more timid to lay down their better hands).

So, while it can be a pain in the ass sometimes... there is no sense in breaking up the game over it and you might as well take advantage of it.

As far as the guy with the 9s... I'm sure he was pretty pissed at the time, but after he cools down he's got to know that there was no way that guy was going to lay down pocket Aces in that situation... no matter how much advice he was getting. Does it suck? Sure. But no rational guy could blame it on the advice he was getting.