View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: AA £5/10 interpoker hand

Well, when he has the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], there are no draws that need to be punished (unless Villain will make a loose preflop call with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or JTo and play it like this on the flop). So there is no point in reraising for protection or value, since you would only be getting called by hands that were beating you.

If you reraise, then, it would only be for information, to try to get away from your hand. The problem is that the only reraise possible that doesn't pot-commit you is a min-raise. So, fine, min-raise and be done with the hand if he calls. (I don't think min-raises are too hot for information gathering, but it's not a horrible play. I think Lederer mentions this play in a similar situation in his second DVD.)

But I think calling is best. I am not going to fold getting those pot odds and implied odds and having the set draw, backdoor flush draw, and bluff flush draw, and likely having the best hand in position. I will see what the turn brings and see what my opponent does and make an opponent-dependent decision on how to proceed. If the turn is not a spade and my opponent fires a big bet into me, fine, good for him. Based on my opponent, I will either decide that he is more likely to be bluffing, in which case I will call him down, or more likely to have a monster, in which case I will fold.

If Hero doesn't have the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I don't know what the best line is. Folding to the small raise on the draw-heavy board seems bad. Min-raising is horrible since it lets worse made hands get away and lets draws draw cheaply (and of course the monsters get your money anyway). So the only plays are raise big (pot-sized or all-in) or flat-call and let the draw keep bluffing at you if a non-spade comes off. I guess that would probably be a raise all-in on the turn if a non-spade comes off.