View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Going for the gold

I asked myself the same question about why I think I can daytrade better then the others. I really think my experience in poker is what sets me apart. I'm sure there are some day traders that are poker players. There hasn't been an explosion in daytrading like there has in poker. So I would assume most daytraders were trading before the poker explosion, therefore meaning they were trading before they ever played poker. Therefore meaning they had no poker skillz to apply to trading. Poker teaches disciplin and a tight aggressive style. I believe that is exactly what is needed to do well in trading. Psycology is also a big part, you need to figure how people will react to certain news releases, and decipher them. For example:

One release I read was on a penny stock where the ceo claimed he was going to purchase up to 4 million shares on the open market. He said he would do it under certain conditions such as price of the shares and market conditions. Well the stock rose sharply the day he announced this. I thought to myself.... the ceo is pulling the ole act strong when weak move. Obviously if a guy wanted to buy 4 million shares at the cheapest price possible, he wouldn't announce he was going to buy them, he would just do it! SO I knew the article was a bluff and didn't buy in and sure enough the stock has been on a consistent fall and not one purchase has been made by the ceo.

I have a ways to go on deciphering news releases becuase many are pretty much the same but with different companies, so once I've seen em all I'm sure there will be a pattern on hoiw the companies react to the news. But the bottom line is I think the tight aggressive/ no-tilt is what gives a successful poker player and edge over a daytrader without poker experienece.