View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Another bad play....how do you play it.

The second part of your post is a prime example of missing the forest for the trees and the third part perfectly illustrates why.

[ QUOTE ]
i disagree, here is why (taken from a hand that, ironically enough, was played while i was responding to this):
MP1 has Kd Qs (straight, ace high).
Hero has Jh Jd (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: MP1 wins t1705.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, doubling up doesn't guarantee doubling up. Yeah, at some point, the risk of busting outweighs the reward. And to prove that, you just posted a hand in which you had over a 70% chance of winning as an example of why you should either just limp JJ PF, or fold middle set/check it behind on a scary board, or...I dunno. I'm tempted to just laugh at you and let it go but there are other people here that don't get this, either.

So here's the explanation: If you pass up 70% chances, which is what you have in your hand and the OP has vs. QJ in his hand, because you just want to get to the bubble - and do so in a $11 or $22 SNG where your folding equity is approximately the same on the bubble as it is on level 3 - you shouldn't be playing. That's not even weak tight, it's just horrible poker and posting that as advice is worse.

If you have AK in the BB and I have QJ and go all in PF UTG on the first hand while flashing you my cards, not calling me is a crime against poker. I know this board has a bubble focus, but you need to know how to play to even get to the bubble, and if you're passing up 70% edges to get there you don't know how to play. Period.