View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Shorthanded Play (2-4NL and higher)

I certainly agree that changing gears is of huge importance in SH play, but I think it's only part of the equation. Especially when playing very short, you need to take flops with all sorts of hands, particularly when in position, and often times for a raise (esp. when playing with aggressive opponents, which you almost always will be when 4- or 5-handed at the highest altitude a site offers). And the more flops you take, the better your hand-reading skills and ability to pick the right spots postflop have to be.

Also, it has already been mentioned but it really is, imho, a crucial trait of the successful players in these games: aggression. Again, mixing it up is important, but rarely in the sense of slow-playing a big hand; rather, as Voltron said, play your big hands fast, and then, play a marginal hand the same way, with the same sort of aggressiveness (and again, hand-reading . . .)

fwiw. (btw, i'm somewhat of a regular as of late in the sh 5-10 nl games on pokerroom . . . my handle is bedeviling . . . stop by and say hi sometime [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]