View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Shorthanded Play (2-4NL and higher)

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest identifying one or two weak players to target. At a 5-person table, you only need one fish to feed everyone.

Another thing to look for is a table with a lot of limping. If you are the most aggressive person preflop, that is a good sign.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tables with fish are of course ideal, but at least reasonably rare at the site I play at (Pokerroom.com). Interestingly, I've found that aggressive play will get people killed; players will start playing back, or will tighten up and wait for a hand. Consistently stealing blinds is really tough, because the regulars are good enough that they just won't allow it; they'll adjust their play.

I think maybe I just need to play more to get a better handle on the play at this level... the earlier advice to play bluffs and strong hands the same was good advice. It seems like deception is absolutely key at this level. It also seems like on-the-fly adjustment to play is very important as well, and changing gears. I've seen solid 2-4NL players get eaten alive at 5-10NL, because they're just too easy to read. It's amazing the difference in level of play from 2-4NL to 5-10NL; the top level has some incredibly cagey players.

Is large bankroll variance guaranteed at this level, with 5max? That's one thing I'd really like to avoid...