View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Coming to Boston/best of Boston

I'll play. Now, a lot of this depends on a) the places you like to go, and b) where you end up staying. I live in Cambridge, so I'm biased to things on "my" side of the river. Boston is a small, walkable city that is easy to deal with w/o a car.

[ QUOTE ]
We are also looking for a reasonably priced hotel somewhere central.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll start here, b/c it's an important one. Boston hotels are expensive, so where you stay (of course) depends on your budget. The Copley Square Hotel and the Boston Omni Parker House Hotel are both reasonable, decent places in good location. You'll save a little by staying out in the suburbs, but this is NOT worth it. Stay in the city.

[ QUOTE ]
Best Pub

[/ QUOTE ] Boston is full of them. Near the Omni Parker, I like the Beantown Pub. A reasonably non-touristy 'dive-bar' with cheap beer, pool, and TV's. Copley Square isn't in as "pub-ish" a neighborhood. Back Bay is more full of bars, lots of which tend to be tourist packed on the weekends. Try Jury's, Vox Populi, or Dillon's.
[ QUOTE ]
Best Nightclub

[/ QUOTE ] Boston is kind of a cheesy nightclub city. If you mean like "dancing place with young girls and Euro-trash types" then places on Landsdowne street are your bet. For a much cooler, loungy type place, try Bomboa, 33, or Saint.
[ QUOTE ]
Best Restaurant for four guys to go to together and have a mean steak

[/ QUOTE ] Grille 23. Expensive, but phat.
[ QUOTE ]
Best Breakfast

[/ QUOTE ] If you have a car, drive out to Soundbites in Somerville. Best in the city.
[ QUOTE ]
Best place to see some good live music (Jazz, rock, whatever)

[/ QUOTE ] Middle East in Cambridge. right on the Central stop on the red line (t)

have fun