View Single Post
Old 02-14-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Was I suppose to value bet?

I think, from worst to best, my options are:

bet-and-call-a-raise

when you bet, you're doing it on the tenet that your hand is better than the range of hands they will call with - and against loose passive players, this is certainly true. they will call with anything. but, after you correctly bet, if it is raised and it's one more bet to you, you have to call that bet based on whether or not your hand holds up against their range of raising hands in accordance with the pot odds you are getting. you have to kind of switch mindsets when you get raised, it goes from "hmm, what hands will he call with" to "what hands did he just raise with". that sounds obvious, but against a passive player both of those are vastly different ranges of hands. especially as an overcaller, you are screwed if a passive player raises you on this board.

check-call

this basically maximizes the chance that my hand gets to showdown for one bet after the scare card, as it is unlikely to go bet-raise by the players behind me. if so, easy fold. however, I think you miss a lot of value by checking.

bet-fold.

I like this one best, because a lot of the time you will not be raised, even by some better hands (a 6 might not raise for fear of the flush) and lots of crap will call.