View Single Post
Old 02-14-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Did I maximize value here?

[ QUOTE ]
my concern was actually keeping the SB in the hand to get future overcalls, possible drawing to non-nut lows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jayheaps - You have a good point, one shared by other respected posters.

You’re very strong here, holding the nut low plus counterfeit protection and with a bit better than a two to one chance to improve to a straight or better by the river (690 to 300, off the top of my head). but you probably won’t have the nuts for high on the river. You’d like not to lose half of this pot to someone who would have folded but who stayed in because it was cheap and who then subsequently out-drew you for high or who just hung around and beat you on the times you didn’t improve. You’d like to make it expensive for someone to do that. There’s a huge difference here between what you’ll win if you scoop and what you’ll win if you split.

As it turns out, you improve on the turn to the nut flush for high, but after the flop you don’t know that will happen. Indeed, the odds are about four to one against the turn being a heart.

I don’t know. I can see your point, and I’ll concede it’s a good point. But I still favor raising on the flop. You’re strong enough to raise, but I don’t think quite strong enough immediately after the flop to slow play it. Basically, I think you're playing for half the pot if you slow play it here, and I think that's a mistake against such a small number of opponents.

Just my opinion. I'm not adamant.

Buzz