View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Beyond 15/30 (online)

i think moving up in limits is worthwhile. the most productive way to look at it is a little different than the transition through the lower limits though. its not so much that you should be trying to change yourself from a 15-30 player into a 100-200 player, or whatever. its that you should try to get comfortable with the higher limits such that when there are worthwhile opprotunities you are able to take advantage of them. a lot of the time higher limit games are a waste of time for decent but not great players but there are also a fair number of opprotunities to sit in an outstanding higher limit game. if you are comfortable with the limit and disciplined about your game selection you can take advantage of these opprotunities, which are obviously worth a lot.

paradise isnt a bad place to play as a next step. i havent played there that much in the last couple months but i played in the 20-40 and 40-80 most of last year and for the most part the games were pretty decent. also, given the limits they have and the crossover between the player pool of the 20-40 and 40-80 you can gain some familiarity with the players at a limit your more comfortable with and sort of gradually transition to a slightly higher limit.

it becomes much more important to be objective and realistic about your own abilities as you start playing in higher limit games. game selection matters at the mid limits but in all probability it means the differece between a game in which you can win a lot and a game in which you can win a little. at the higher limit games it probably means the difference between a game in which you are a winner and a game in which you are a loser. often it will be the case that you are sitting in a game with 8 good players and a superfish. if you are a decent but not great player its important that you are realistic about this, when the superfish gets up you need to stop playing, whether you are up money or down. if you go about it correctly there are many great opprotunities in higher limit games, if your stubborn and unrealistic there are many chances to chunk off tons of money playing against great players.