Thread: Help!
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Help!

[ QUOTE ]
How well do you understand and work on tournament theory stuff? This may sound trite, but in the middle to late stages of tournaments, decisions diverge more and more from ring game decisions, and making these changes is extremely important. It sounds like you err on the side of passivity from your post (not value betting, etc.) Aggression is of paramount importance in tournaments, and if you are not playing aggressively enough you are just going to get killed.

[/ QUOTE ]
There ya go. The problem at Commerce is that there IS no sitting around and waiting stage of the tourney, like there is in most other events I've played in. I don't have that hour or two to watch the other seven players. I don't have that window to see whom I can steal from, who will fold to a scare card, who only plays pat hands and who will play lots of drawing hands. I don't have time to see who is memorizing cards and who is just playing by the seat of his pants.

There IS no early stage of a Commerce event, it goes from the middle to late stage, and that is it, if you know what I mean. I do play my hands pretty aggressively, but the problem is that I'm rarely in a hand, so if I get outdrawn, that's pretty much it for me.

[ QUOTE ]
For ring game stuff: You said Ray Zee declined, did you ask him if he could reccomend someone?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good suggestion! I have spoken with Barry Greenstein about it, lately, and he made the point that in this day and age of incredibly easy poker, anyone who would have the time and desire to coach and/or mentor me is NOT making money, and the last person I'd want in my life. Something to think about, anyway...

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]