Thread: Help!
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Help!

I'll be your coach. No one's harder on people than I am. I'm just nice on the forum because there are already enough pricks on here.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have a problem with tournament play, in that I rarely cash, so I've more or less quit playing in them. Well, there's a $400+40 NLHE tournament at Canterbury tomorrow, and I'm thinking about it, but I'm probably not going to get my ass down there before 11 am, am I? I like tournaments too, but it's really frustrating when you get to the coin-flip stage, and I just don't seem to do very well at coin-flips. I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say that some of these tournaments are "poorly strucured." Do they use ante/bring-in structures unlike what you find in mid- and high-limit cash games? Or are they half-hour rounds, or you start with too few chips, or what? Anyway, if they are poorly structured, and they don't suit your style, why play in them?

And you can't possibly be 100% dead money. You might be a money dog--I've never seen you play--but not dead money.

As for not value-betting enough, I suggest that you be for value more often. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] A pivotal moment in my poker career came in a $15/30 stud hand I played perhaps three years ago. Low card brought it in for $5, and I was one of four or five limpers with (55)6. On fourth street, I caugth a Trey, and it was checked around. On fifth, I caught a second Trey and bet $30. Denny Axel raised, and I was the only caller. I don't remember his exact board, but it was something like 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="red">2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font> 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] On sixth, I caught a Four, giving me an open-ender to go with my two scraggly pair, and bet out. Denny was visibly surprised by this bet, but I thought he might have made one of his small-pair-with-a-draw kind of raises. On the river, I caught no help and checked. Denny bet, I called, and he showed Eights and Deuces. He had indeed started with a three-flush, paired the Deuce, caught a fourth club on fifth, and then paired his Eight on the river. It seems like a really easy bet on his part to me now, but at the time it inspired me. Most stud players miss bets like this. I'm guessing you do too. Go out and find these bets. And make them while you're at it. For my part, I now find value bets where they don't even exist. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]