Thread: Mutlitabling
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Mutlitabling

First of all, yes. It's quite possible to play well enough to win at 4 tables. And you've come to the right place if you want to talk to many people who do it everyday (quite few as their primary source of income).

Like anything else, practice makes perfect. I would not suggest multi-tabling to any player that was not 100% confident that they are a winning player at the stakes in quetion. A first step to learning multi-tabling might be to drop down a level and play 2 tables instead of 1. This is how I started and believe me, it took a couple weeks before it felt comfortable. 8 months later, I've now worked my way up to 4 tables in my normal game and have no problem with it whatsoever.

As far as what is more profitable, there is no question that multi-tabling, if done diligently by a strong, focused player is more profitable that playing one table at the same stakes.

Think of it like this:

If you are playing $1/2 on Party and you are good enough to make 3 big bets/100 hands playing your best game. If you played 2 tables, how much expected value would you think you are giving up? A big drop might take you down to 2 big bets/100. So even if you're giving up 33% of your edge by multi-tabling you will be making 4 bets for every 3 you made playing one table.

And I can assure you, the more you practice multi-tabling, the better you'll get at it and the less edge you'll give up.

Then imagine playing 3 tables. Let's say you cut your edge in half (compared to playing 1 table) by doing this. You are still going to make 1.5 *3/100 or 4.5 big bets/100 hands, a 25% increase in your return despite giving up HALF of your edge.