View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Can you read ITH and SSH same time?

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to see a sticky or something where Ed and other NPA's discuss whether SSH is a "style of play" or "the right way to play". From what I have seen, it is the right way to play in the majority of situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read the "Introduction" and the "Using This Book" sections, I think it's clearly a style of play. In the Introduction, it is said "We advocate a tight, but aggressive attacking style." You can decide for yourself if it is the right or wrong style, but just like anyone who may not bet unless they have the nuts, that's a certain style of play.

[ QUOTE ]
People say SSH can be "dangerous", but I am not so sure this is fair either. The basic points of SSH are play tight pre flop, play tight in small pots, and play aggressively in large pots. How is that dangerous?

[/ QUOTE ]

This book is dangerous if you don't understand it. Go on over Amazon.com and read some reviews and you'll see that many people just don't understand it. For instance, given the correct situation, this book suggests that you should raise on the flop with a middle pair. If you don't understand what the "correct situation" is though, this can be a costly mistake.

[ QUOTE ]
The average poker player, online or in a card room, is loose/passive. So how can it be so dangerous to play tight/aggressive against them? The average fish cold calls pre-flop raises like they are going out of style, but SSH says very rarely cold call pre-flop raises. What is dangerous about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I answered the dangerous part above, but to comment on this, you really need to read the "Using This Book" section unless you just used a bad example here. This book isn't really about preflop play. It gives recomendations on being tight preflop if you're not already but as the book says "Understanding postflop concepts and play is far more essential to maxumizing your win rate" and to move quickly through the preflop chapters.

[ QUOTE ]
If SSH does not apply to tighter games, the internet, or whatever variant you wish, then what does? And do I have to give back the money? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to rag on you again about this, but you REALLY have to read the Introduction and Using This Book sections. I know how people like to skip over the salad and get to the steak, but the salad sets up the whole meal.

The book says in this book, it assumes your opponents play poor. In "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players", it assumes your oppenents play fairly well.