Thread: Too fancy? (O8)
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Too fancy? (O8)

I could be totally wrong seeing as I'm so new to O8, but I just look at my pot odds like any other hand. You have an open-ender to half the pot, so your 8 outs give you 4.75 : 1 to make the hand. That's normally good enough implied odds to see the turn 3 way when someone's betting into you; if you were drawing at the whole pot, you'd be getting slightly better than 4 : 1 since the button might see the turn, too, but you're getting about 6.5 : 1 implied. But then you have to realize that in a split pot you're now only getting slightly better than 2 : 1, or 3 : 1 implied at best, which is a clear fold with an open-ender.

I've really started to like O8, and I do pretty well at O8 micros. The only thing that continually frustrates me is people who drive everybody out on a low draw. I've seen it happen several times that I have A2 UTG and flop 4 to the nut low with 5-6 people still in the pot. I'll bet out for value if the table is being particularly passive (at some tables seeing 5-way flops checked all the way around isn't rare, and I don't want that to happen), and then the guy to my left raises it up! Do I fold here? I don't know! Now almost everybody folds, I have to call another bet, and it's 3 way with me drawing at low! Logically I think "this guy has to have a made high hand at least, right?" so I call the bet, the turn makes my low, I check to the raiser who bets, then the other two of us call. Same on the turn. Then at the showdown I'm splitting low with the raiser who also had A2! Idiots!