View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Button against 2 Maniacs

I think this is the first time in months that I've played a hand like ATos against a raise. I was just hearing Ray Zee say,

[ QUOTE ]
Now suppose he is not such a good player. Yippee, that is just the cup of tea we want to drink. Re-raising to isolate him gets good results. You love to play heads up as much as possible, especially if you have position. However, playing as he does, you will not be able to read his hands as well as a tighter more passive player. So it boils down to going to the end and frequently betting and raising with hands that appear to be the best for the situation. In addition, remember to tighten up considerably with your betting as you beat him, as this will no doubt make him slow down some and have better hands himself. It becomes a game of constantly adjusting your play as he does his play.

[/ QUOTE ] Playing with an Aggressive Bully from this month's 2+2 Magazine

The complication, of course, is that I didn't isolate the raiser, but took someone along for the ride. And there was a really good chance one of them had beaten me by the river.

The question is, was my raising my nut flush draw/top pair on the turn with two guaranteed callers for value? (probably not if I believe I could be behind a set/2 pair because that dirties several of the spades)

* I count 7 spades (removing maybe one for the weighted probability that theres 2 pair out there or a set that would fill up with a paired board. But by the same token, if I do have the nuts, I also think there's a good chance one of these guys will have a spade and pay me off big time) Call it 5-6 outs.

* Maybe half an out for the 7 (if I'm up against an A with a higher kicker)
* Maybe half an out for the A (if I'm up against 2 pair that isn't the A)
* A 25% chance I'm ahead already (this is entirely judgmental. can I count that for 9-10?)
Call it 16 outs: 1.9:1 + implied odds for a bunch of bets if I make my flush.

By that (perhaps hopelessly tortured and flawed) logic, it certainly made sense to raise with 2 GUARANTEED callers.

For the record, the aggressor had J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for a pair of Jacks, the other guy had K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for jackxxxx! So my reads on these guys did turn out to be spot on (for a change!)