View Single Post
Old 11-07-2002, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Paradigm for Stud/8 -- Critique Wanted, Please

Alan,

Since you were kind enough to answer my bankroll question I thought I would take a shot at yours.

I think that the concept of a 5 card lock is the ideal and is certainly the easiest hand to play. In an agressive game with lessor or more agressive players this strategy works well even after accounting for the times when even the best 5 card hands might get "run down" - split nut low for example. However, in my limited experience, players that have a sense of the game will tend to fold or to slow down against a scary three card board. This behavior results in a lot of split small pots or small scoops.

I have found that hands that are almost locks on fifth street, four to a strong low and flush, will be more profitable as some players who might catch a weak (say 7 or 8 low) on 5th would be less likely to muck to your brick. They potentially could bet into you allowing an opportunity for a raise. In this scenario, you have positive EV to make a better hand and getting their money in prior to completing should add significant profit to your overall play. With the profit comes a higher degree of variance as well.

It seems that jamming hands with strong potential against weak made hands would in the long run be more profitable. Inherent in this concept is the recognition of when your drawing cards are truly live. Four to a flush and low is not nearly as valuable when a signficant number of your live cards are on someone's board or in the muck. I have seen people jamming with these hands against made hands without the recognition of their true odds. Disasterous!

Not by any means the be all end all answer to your question but some personal observation from a lower limit player.

Good Luck