View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: More Stud8 hands

[ QUOTE ]
First hand: third street is fine. I bet fourth street as well. On fifth, check and fold. Yuck. On sixth, check and fold. On the river, the pot is big enough that you may as well see if you can get your money back, but yuck.

Second hand: I might limp in with this dog in a really soft cash game. On a tough table or in a tournament, it's a definite muck the first time around. Limping wasn't terrible, but calling when it's raised and re-raised back to you was awful.

Fourth street came down quite nicely, didn't it? Why not cap it? Beyond that, I think you can only call until the river, at which time you should definitely raise. Glad it worked out, but you shouldn't have been in there in the first place.

Third hand: With less than two big bets, you're going to have to make a move sooner or later, and this looks like a good hand to do it with as long as there aren't any Aces out. In a cash game, I might limp in late and see what happens, and that might not be a terrible play here. I'd probably raise, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

1: I don't like the call on the river at all, considering i can't beat any 4,7 or 8 in the hole or any PP. Inexcusably bad play on my part.

2: My sentiments exactly, terrible call. I deserved to be scooped here. Until I read Ray Zee's book, I wouldn't muck and 8 with an ace in it.

3: I have no knowledge of stud8 tournament theory (other than the random posts here saying big pairs go up in value late), but this seems almost as bad as the 2nd hand. Assuming I have to bring in 1/5 of the time, my stack will be too small to double up effectively next time I get a hand.

Thanks again for the insight.