View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Comments please O8b hand

Beavis - My first reaction, upon reading your hand, was, "Rats, you've got a rainbow hand here."

I hate rainbow hands in this game. Rainbow ace-deuce-trey with a jack in a loose game is mostly only going to be good for low, if anything. And then you'll get quartered or sixthed roughly two hands out of every five.

Just in terms of low, you'll end up with the nut low 43.14% and any low 49.52%.

Wonder how you can end up with a non-nut low holding A23J? The board on the river is something like 2367X and you have a live ace. Meanwhile A4XX, A5XX and 45XX beat you for low and anyone with A2XX, A3XX, A6XX or A7XX ties you.

You think that starting hand is great? Think again. Most of the time you don't even end up qualifying for low. And when you do, it's not always roses.

But although not great, you certainly should want to see the flop with A23Jn. I have it pegged at about the 95th percentile in terms of earning potential. I need to add that I don't think I'd achieve that level of success with the hand by popping it before the flop. (Yes, I realize you get one extra bet from some opponents by raising on that first betting round, and yes, I realize you probably have the best starting hand at the table, even though it's a rainbow).

There are plenty of better poker players than me who would raise before the flop with this hand. And in some tournament situations or even ring game situations I might raise before the flop with it myself. But generally I'd just limp.

I think you played the rest of the hand fine. (Without the pre-flop raise, I think it's an easy fold to a bet on this flop).

Just my opinion.

Buzz