View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Hellmuth > Caught Cheating At WPO?

[ QUOTE ]
You really think Hellmuth would risk his 7 figure endorsement deals, income, etc. by cupping a few little chips???

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I never said it was true, hence the ? at the end of the title.

2) It's not exactly like it's my mothers, sister's cousin's former roommate from college. This is a pretty solid guy who's a good friend of the room manager at a cardroom in tunica.

3) While I was initially skeptical for the same reasons (he's loaded..why risk it), I have to say that I somewhat agree with the guy who said it was a solid "tactic". Hellmuth fancies himself the bad-boy of poker... he's a tool, I agree, but he's also a shrewd self-marketer. While I gave this story about 30% chance of actually being true, It honestly wouldn't surprise me....after all, who (aside from possibly annie duke) is as frustrated with the influx of "landmines" in major events?

That said, I now see why I don't venture into the "TV Forum"... represents the worst of what this once-great board has to offer... a pile of flamers who offer little in substance but plenty in attitude. Whatever makes you kids sleep better at night.

Again, I never said it was true, however I figured I'd get some feedback from the people here that actually knew what they were talking about (ie bigfishhead)... real dealers from down in Tunica. I'll contact the few people here that would know directly and leave this thread to die as the flame-fest that it is currently.

Oh... and the "Chip Cupping" meant that he was (allegedly) pulling his stack into his hand, and tossing all but a couple of high-value chips in and "going all in". Then he'd rebuy and grab his stack with those few extra large value chips. This, as has been stated before, is a lot more common than many of the internet players would care to consider....

FYI - For curiosity's sake I just spoke with the floor supervisor at the strike and asked him about a "chip cupping incident involving hellmuth at the $1000 rebuy at the WPO. Interestingly enough he was a bit flustered and said that he is "not allowed to comment" on anything that "may have happened"...