View Single Post
Old 10-28-2002, 04:37 PM

Default Re: 7CS: Why are straight draws bad?

Let's say you start with 876. If you catch a 4, that's help, but you must specifically catch a 5 to make your straight. If you're playing a flush draw, you never have that kind of scenario.

The ranking of poker hands is determined by what the most difficult hand to make is when five cards are dealt. I'm actually not sure if it is easier to make a straight or not if you always stay in for all seven cards; I suspect that it is. What I meant was that it's easier to convert a three-flush into a flush, and it's easier to convert a four-flush into a flush. If you have a four-flush, there are nine cards you can catch to make your hand, but there are only eight cards you can catch to make your hand if you have an open-ended straight draw.

There isn't a whole lot of difference between an Ace-high flush and a Seven-high flush. If you make a flush, it should be good, and if it does lose, it could be to a full house, in which case the rank of your cards don't matter. If you are drawing to a small flush, and you think your opponent has a higher flush made, you probably should go out. If your opponent has a Queen-high flush made, you should not draw hoping to catch the Ace or King of your suit. Note that unless the high cards of your opponent's suit have shown, there is always the chance that he has them in the hole.