View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Lee Jones has warped my brain

I agree with you that the problem with WLLH is that it tends to be too cautious. And as I used that as my starting principles those lessons stuck. I'm talking about postflop play here. Then, when I read the other books, I understood the new principles but I was applying them incorrectly, due to my weak-tight experiences with WLLH. And I've been applying them incorrectly for some time now, and it is only because of this forum that I've realised that. Because the first lessons that you receive stick at a much deeper level than is given credit for.

The hand posts I've seen here with four to a flush on the flop have the poster jamming the pot like crazy. Coming from WLLH I considered that insane. Sure, bet out and call the raises, but 3bet? Cap? What are you nuts?

But that is correct because you're not paying to draw to your flush, you're making the other players pay to stay with you. Jones has it the other way around, and I've taken that in at a deep level and it has cost me an untold number of bets.

I'm just wondering what else in there needs to be scalpeled out of my brain. Because I could read SSH a hundred times but what counts is when you sit down at the table. That deep understanding that I got today when I finally understood why you have to pack the pot on the flop with a four to a flush.