View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 01:21 PM

Default Re: presto -- isolating an all-in raiser preflop

Hi there, I am a 10-20 player mostly myself.

And this is a tough one. The problem as I see it, is that you can't put your opponent off the hands that have you beat on the turn. These hands are AA, KK, JJ, and QT.

By that I mean that if your opponent has AA, KK, JJ, then he has played correctly so far. Capping pre-flop with those holdings might be too revealing in the case of AA and KK, and maybe too optimistic in the case off JJ. With all three hands, it would be better to lay down a bear trap by cold-calling, seeing the flop, and more importantly for this particular opponent, seeing your reaction to the flop.

Calling QT for three bets cold pre-flop is not likely however, but it could be done by a tricky aggressive player with good hand-reading skills that's put you on a small pair isolation play pre-flop, and believe's he can outplay you post-flop. Not likely, but possible.

Having said all that, I think you played your set aggressively, and also correctly. At the river I personally would probably chicken out due to the uncertainty of where I stand, and check-call. If my opponent bet's, I would expect to have lost the hand. If not, then I would expect to have beaten AK.

I also would think it would be fine to bet the river, hoping not to miss out on an extra bet.

lysis