Thread: laying down KK?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: laying down KK?

[ QUOTE ]
Example: 4-5 handed...I'm about even with BB or Button with 10-12xBB. I dealt KK when UTG. I raise 3xbb, called by BB or button. Ace-rag-rag flops. I'm first to act after the flop or BB checks...I'm pot committed with any meaningful bet and I'm not good enough to fold KK here, so I push, and I invariably get called by made pair of aces.

If I check, I'm gonna get bet into and will prolly have to fold. I just don't know what else to do but give them my chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not pot committed with any meaningful bet. If you bet 6 of your 8 BB and are raised for the last two, guess what? You don't have the odds to call and therefore aren't pot committed. Saying that you are is a shortcut for 'well, I don't know what to do so I'll just save myself the decision and push'.

FWIW, if the button's PF numbers are solid I'll frequently just check to him (weak tight, but hey, I'm not perfect either, and many of these guys won't bet without an ace); otherwise, I'll bet a standard amount and then fold to a raise anyway. Shortstacked is better than nothing.