View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Standard play, yes?

Great. Two of the posters that I really respect say I should have checked the turn... that means I really screwed this one up.

With the way the betting has gone, if I check the turn it seems to me that I'm saying to anyone still in the hand that I'm now scared spitless of that board and I will fold to any bet.

When I played this hand and I saw the turn card I nearly tried to check it down, but I took a while thinking about the probable range of hands (past experience has shown this is probably useless at the $10 SNG Party level) that my two oppoenents could be holding here. Truthfully I could only conceive of one hand that I was really worried about being better than me at this point, and that was pocket 88. I thought that if someone had flopped a set that they would have come over the top on the flop to try and get all my chips right there (since the board is dangerous for them as well).

The turn has also put the second [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the board and someone holding say J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] now can get a free card to make their flush. I loathe giving anyone a free card these days.

I guess my secondary consideration here is that I typically only play a couple of hands at best before the blinds reach level 4. If I wind up folding here to any bet (which I understand may be the smartest play here) from the turn or river and if I get my normal distribution of cards for the rest of this tournament, then I will most likely be at around 350 or so chips when the blinds reach level 4. At the $10 level, past experience has shown that I WILL get called when I make any kind of play/steal the vast majority of the time with this small of a stack.

Should this be a consideration when deciding what to do in this particular hand?