View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Chess: want to get better fast

I have been searching for someone good at chess to answer some of my questions, and I qould be very grateful if you answer some of mine.
1) You say you should analyze your games. Does that mean you yourself should do the analyzing, or that you should feed it to some computer program to analyze for you. If you are supposed to analyze it yourself, what I don't get is how you are supposed to be able to spot all the things you need to spot while analyzing. If you are good enough to see the hidden mating combination, when analyzing, why couldn't you do it in the game?
2)You say that it is good if you put in time every day. Should I use that time to play games, analyze old games, do tactics puzzles? What did you do to become so good?
3) Where do I go to find out my rating? I honestly have no clue what my real rating is. I used a chess program once, but it told me I was a candidate master so I'm not gonna trust it.
4) How should I go about learning openings? I like e4 for white and I tend to use sicilian with black. What I still have to learn is how to play against the sicilian, caro cann, scandinavian, and I need a defense to d4 and c4 when i'm playing black.
If you do answer these questions, thank you, and if you don't, I guess I'll have to keep on looking for someone who will.