View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Hand Protection by SSH

Based on the opinions expressed that I should raise this flop, my question is how others see this hand as it relates to two of the hand protection examples in SSH. Specifically, the AA vs 10-10 hand in "Two Overpair Hands" and the KK hand in "Protecting Your Hand" where the villian rivers his gutshot straight.

When the flop hit, I read this as being pretty close to those situations. Running through the hand (as in the KK hand from the book), there's a pretty good chance I have the best hand right now.

If I raise the flop, we can assume after they call 23.5 SB's (12.75 BB's) will be the pot. That's plenty for gutshots and better to chase me after they check to me on the turn. Odds-wise, raising (or three-betting, in this case), seems to make their chasing less correct.

What am I missing? How is this situation different from those presented in the book? When I read the KK hand in SSH, I first said that's how I'd play it and then curse my rotten luck. Now I see Ed's reasoning.

Obviously, this play does not apply in all situations, and it may be that it is being over-applied after SSH, but it seems (to me) as though there are not many significant differences between this hand and the book examples. I don't want to go over-applying this concept as well. Where am I missing the biggies? Thanks.