View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: 640 NL tourney on Party hand

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses Steve, Don, and Zee...for Zee and Don especially since you guys are regulars on this forum...isnt the company line that if we get to 4 or 5 Big Blinds that we have to push on that round NO MATTER WHAT because giving up our folding equity is too big of a factor? I thought I have read Raymer post that before? Did I misinterpret?

[/ QUOTE ]

The "company line" is that when you have 10XBB or less, IF you're going to enter the pot you should be pushing (with a few exceptions like big pairs where you want to encourage action). But that doesn't address what hands you should be pushing with, from what positions, and under specific table conditions. There is still art to the game even when you're shortstacked. I've been fortunate enough to come from 3XBB to place very high in a tourney on more than one occasion. It's tough to be patient, but it often pays off.

Certainly, as your stack diminishes in terms of its relation to the blinds, you might have to start pushing with hands that you wouldn't otherwise. For me, I'll be way more aggressive once I get into 3XBB territory. You've mentioned that you don't have folding equity in this situation once you get past the blinds. That's not true. You still have over 3XBB and that's large enough to get people off of really marginal hands. You might get into a coinflip situation, you might get called by a huge stack that doesn't mind risking a few chips, but those are welcomed situations at this point.

With 5XBB UTG, I will still be pretty selective. I'll probably push any pair and AK-AT, maybe KQs, maybe A9s and some other hands. It also depends upon who is in the blinds. If the BB is a huge stack, there's a good chance of getting called and I might be more selective. If the BB is a tight, shortstacked player I might be a little more aggressive. Now, if I'm in the CO w/KT I would most likely push. So you definitely have to take position into consideration.

Just a few of my thoughts for whatever they're worth. Good luck.