View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Possibly my worst played hand ever. Confessional + advice

Oh man, this one was bad. Win or lose, this was an a hand that was absolutely just a mess. Posting because exposure of my play is self-inflicted punishment for playing this wrong.

To explain part of my mind-set, I went into call-down mode earlier in the day on another table thinking I *might* be beaten, but refusing to fold AQo with A on board and won a decent pot. I've also been trying to implement the "don't fold in big pots" advice.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG <font color="#A500AF">(LAA in 30 hands)</font> raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO <font color="#A500AF">(Unknown)</font> caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB <font color="#A500AF">(Absolute LPP)</font> calls, UTG <font color="#A500AF">(LAA in 30 hands)</font> calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">The story so far: LAA has been raising pre-flop with weak hands (any ace, high suited, etc.) So rather than fold AJo to a pre-flop raise, I thought I'd isolate with a raise. So far, I'm pleased with my play.

Then, Unknown (only 2 hands on the table at that point, hadn't played any) caps which surprised me. LPP calling cap cold was no surprise. He's on my buddy list as a guy with a high VP$IP.
</font>

Flop: (16.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Absolute LPP checks, LAA in 30 hands checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Unknown bets</font>, Absolute LPP calls, LAA in 30 hands calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">Surely my first mistake. I shoulda bet out having hit TPGK. I mightaa called 1 raise after that or folded when bet to on turn because of 3 flush.</font>

Turn: (10.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Absolute LPP bets</font>, LAA in 30 hands calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Unknown raises</font>, Absolute LPP calls, LAA in 30 hands calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">LPP betting out was a real surprise. He plays quite passive post-flop, so this shook me a bit. I didn't take the time to put him on a hand. I call because the pot is big, but I'm uneasy. After unknown's raise I was lost and I went into "pot too big to fold with TPGK mode." Question: My hunch is that I shoulda raised LPP with the intent to fold to any RR.</font>

River: (18.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Absolute LPP bets</font>, LAA in 30 hands calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Unknown raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Absolute LPP 3-bets</font>, LAA in 30 hands calls, Hero calls, Unknown calls.

<font color="blue">So I only call with 2 pair because I think I'm behind -- but I just refuse to fold two pair, despite the board having flush and str8 possibilities. so then I see two more bets to me, and I just COULDN'T bail with such a big pot! </font>

Final Pot: 30.25 BB

At showdown, I was totally confused and unhappy with my play win or lose.

Advice? Thoughts?