View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: TV Show \"Tilt\": Bad for Poker?

Very true. People do rely on TV for most of their knowledge. Its sad but I think its sometimes true. I think that TILT is just a show. It is a drama, a soapopera. If people who are not poker savvy want to stereotype poker players as cheats and bums then let them.

I do however think that many people are smart enough to realize that this show is over dramatic and made primarily for ESPN to ride the poker wave while its still high. ESPN doesn't care about showing poker in a good light. They only care about getting money out of the new popularity of poker. However, they hired bad writers so they probably won't make any money at all.

As far as the poker wave goes: Eventually things will level out. Those who chased the dream of quitting their day job and playing poker for a living will realize they have to work at poker to make money and start playing only recreationaly. They will have niether the time nor the energy to get better. Poker will find many new good players who found the game in 2004. These players enjoy playing and studying the game to the extent they become winning players.

We will all look back at TILT in a year (after it goes off the air) and think about all the discussions we had in embarassment. That dumb show will not even get any viewers let alone change people's attitudes about poker.