View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 05:27 AM

Default TV Show \"Tilt\": Bad for Poker?--SO WHAT

The show sux. Is it bad for poker? What ever--If I had to guess, I'd say it is good insofar as it alerts more poeple to the game. You must remember why there are so many people willing to constantly take the worst of it. They like the excitement and danger. They hate their perpetually safe lives. By going out and f%#&ing up a few hundred dollars they know that no one owns them. How could they feel owned after showing disregard for the very thing that rules many of their (and our) lives.

Poker is so much bigger than WPT, WSOP, on-line etc. Sure, as an industry it is just beginning. It's future growth is finite and we hope that there will be plenty of recreation players w/ no fundamental skills and plenty of money. And we hope that they play big limits. But there will always be 25 million people playing poker every week. Always have been, always will. So no, poker is fine.

And while I agree that the show really is bad, what do you propose, showing a bunch of geeks who read books and newsgroups all day? Lets face it, we are a pretty boring lot. You can dress Sklansky up in a hip 70's polyester shirt, but we all know he's a nerd [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

PT