View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 11:18 PM

Location: Chicago, IL. Born, Raised, and in Chicago, I\'ll Die.
Default Re: Two AQ hands for review

Your instincts (reads) are your main weakness, just keep playing. In the meantime, be more selective with your raising hands.

EXAMPLE:
In full ring, you don't wanna be raising with AQ because you'll have problems playing it. These two hands, I thought you played well from the flop and beyond, but you're rushing it a bit.

The NL book that might do the best for you would be Cloutier/McEnvoy's Championship PL and NL Hold 'em and Daugherty/McEnvoy's NL Texas Hold 'em. Both will show you to be selectively aggressive in big bet poker and Cloutier/McEnvoy is a book that I constantly re-read because I love the way that he thinks about the game.

Read Daniel Negreanu's Card Player articles. They're on the Card Player website. Just hunt through the archives. Remember that his instincts are almost flawless and everything he does should not be done. I think that you should definitely analyze the way that he analyzes the game. It'll help you ten-fold.

But until you feel really confident in your reads, your flop/turn/river play is gonna suffer from raising preflop with AQ, AJ, KQ, 99, and the like. Keep combin' through the forums.

I moderate a forum ( http://www.pokerforums.org ). Check it out and keep browsing here. I just joined this forum, but I've been browsing it for almost a year. There a ton of helpful reading material here.