Thread: Tilt Night
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Tilt Night

Geez. After nearly a month of winning pretty much every night, (turned a $250 bankroll into $928 at PS playing .10BB and .25BB NL) I had some painful beats early in the night when I was a little tired and went on tilt. When on tilt, I still played good hands,.. I raised when I should have, I got called by questionable hands who would hit every time (which was irritating me more), but that wasn't the problem... I never wanted to give them credit for having what they had when, deep down, I knew I was beat...and I gave away my money. To top it off, I actually said out loud to myself, "I'm on tilt." And I kept going.

Examples-
This is off the top of my head so I don't recall stack sizes.
(.05/.10 NL)
I raise from EP with QQ to .50. 1 caller from late position.
FLOP J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet $1 Villian calls.
TURN rag 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet $3. Villain calls.

RIVER Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Now I know he was on a diamond draw. Sure he could have been slowplaying a set, but I think he would have played faster with the flush on the board. I figure I'm most likely beat but I'm too pissed. But I'm going to bet at it in case (1) he poorly played a set (2) has a weak flush and may drop it...

I bet $4. He goes all in (which was about $5 more). And, because I'm tired and playing bad, I call.

He has the 5-7 of diamonds. I couldn't believe he called my raise with 5-7 suited, but that doesn't matter. I knew I was beat (whether it was AK suited or 5-7)

ANOTHER
After 1 limper, I raise to .50 from MP with AK suited. 2 callers (Villain is one of them, with a good stack and I've noted only plays good hands. I've never seen him take down a pot with weak cards (like middle pair, or TP 2 kicker)).

The flop comes A-8-4 rainbow.
I bet $1.25. 1 fold. Villain calls.

TURN- K (A-8-4)
I bet $3. Villain raises $3 more. I call.

RIVER- rag.
I bet $3. Villain raises it $6 more. The only hand he could have that I would play that way would be a set. I know he has a set. SO I CALL!?! He has a set of 8s.

LAST ONE
I limp in with pocket 4s. There's about 4 other limpers in the pot.

FLOP- 5-8-5 (suits unimportant).
check around to villain who pauses... then checks. In my mind, I noted the pause and said, "he's hit something. Be wary."

TURN - 4
a .30 bet in front of me. I raise it to $1. Villain reraises me to $3. Everyone else folds but me who calls. I CALL. I was checkraised by the person who I noted on the flop had something, Bells went off in my head, AND I TUNED THEM OUT.

River- 10 (5-8-5-4)
I bet $1 (why, I couldn't tell you... there's no draw this guy was betting on. Somehow I told myself I was being screwed with and my measly bet would take it. That makes no sense.) He raises me $4. I call. As I'm sure everyone knows (as I did but didn't want to admit it) he had pocket 8s. I even scolded myself because I KNEW on the flop he had hit and I ignored it 20 seconds later.

I lost between $50-$60 last night playing hands like this. I'm not griping. In every case, I had a good hand but knew I was beat. But being tired, I got cranky and stupid but kept playing. The worst is in many cases, I knew exactly what they had, they had the ONLY hands they would play that way, and I would get angry and deny it.

Over the last month, I built up my stack laying down good hands when I knew I was beat. Being tired and on tilt, I gave some of it back. My bad.

I hope I didn't bore anyone. I wanted to post my bad play as a form of self-punishment. And perhaps by writing it, I'll be less inclined to continue playing this way.