View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Beginner Strategy Question

Careful with this logic. It CAN work but needs to used very sparingly. A solid player can limp in late with A8 and in the scenario you provided, that's TPTK and good enough to call (or raise) your healthy bet. Who knows the flop could've given them a set. Are they a solid enough player to call your bet with only overcards? Maybe they limped with what was a crappy middle pair that is now an over-pair on the flop. Some of my criteria for trying this:

1) Is your BB worth protecting? I don't even think of trying this in an MTT until blinds are >50/100.

2) How tight have the limpers been? Have they shown the ability to drop overcards?

3) What's the board telling me? Yes, a flop of 8 high is a nasty looking board but there is a big difference between
8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] vs. 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I'd only try this when the board is uber-raggy.

FWIW, I just don't like this play. If I find myself in this situation and want to make a play at the pot and the answers to the above 3 questions are yes - I've found that the bluff check-raise on the flop is more effective.

Pep.