View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: pocket eights with rag flop...

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt want to bet this on the flop because i thought with so many people in the hand someone would most likely out draw me by the river and im out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a terrible, terrible thought process and approach - very weak-tight play.

Bet the flop; probably 3-bet a raise. You have an overpair and a backdoor straight. There's a very, very strong chance you have the best hand at this point (no one raised pre-flop). The backdoor straight draw is gravy and strengthens your hand further.

Hard to predict what the turn looks like after the flop action described above, but you should almost certainly bet the turn (and probably reraise if it gets raised, depending on the flop action).

Bet and 3-bet the river - hope it gets capped. The only -- only -- hand that beats you is T8, and you already have 2 of the possible four 8s.

You left a ton of money on the table in this hand.

Returning to the quote above:

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt want to bet this on the flop because i thought with so many people in the hand someone would most likely out draw me by the river and im out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really want to drive people out so that they can't draw out on you, you need to be very aggressive and charge them to draw by betting and raising. I don't think you necessarily want to drive people out on that flop, but in any event, betting and raising drives people out, checking and calling does not. If you're so worried about someone drawing out on you, why in the world do you call down through the entire hand -- just fold it if you thing you're destined to lose?

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you're employing some very muddled thinking in your approach and play of this hand.