View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Play from a poorer country and you\'re set?

I used satellite internet for a couple months and it was TERRIBLE. Unlike other access methods, where throughput generally slows down when the line is oversubscribed, satellite internet seems to increase latency when overused (throughput would be just fine.. go figure). What does this mean? At peak hours I'd often have 20000ms (20 second) ping times to verious places on the internet, and it would often take me that long to act in a poker room. I became a pariah at one of the small sites I frequented regularly ("Not this guy again!") This was with the DIRECWAY service offered by DIRECTV. Your results may very.. but I'd stay away.

Generally satellite internet services are targetted to web browsing only, and you're discouraged from attempting to use interactive services over it (though they'll let you try). I believe some of them offer combo dialup/satellite access as a higher-priced alternative. I'm not sure if they use both as an integrated connection, or just let you use dialup as a backup when satellite is uncooperative.

2ndGoat