View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: A9o out of position against maniac for 3 bets.

This can't be the best possible way, but it takes the drama out of confrontations with a button who may be three-betting really light.

Plan on checking and calling to the river. Never fold before all the cards are out unless it looks likely that you'll end up losing to a one-card flush or straight. (Remember that the all-in player may have it even if the button doesn't.)

Don't let the button put in extra bets. Don't scare him out if he is bluffing. This means no betting into him or check-raising him unless you want to three-bet for value, and no betting out suddenly with ace high unless you have observed that your opponent is willing to fold to a turn bet that comes out of the blue.

No folding on the river whatsoever if the turn was bet and called. It should be pretty rare for you to fold on the river even if your opponent checks it all the way and the pot is small. But here there is an all-in player, so you may get to see the button's hole cards even if you fold, and your chance of winning the main pot with ace-high is much worse than it would be if you were heads-up. So I guess it's safe to fold pretty liberally on the river if the side pot is small.

If you have a pair, feel free to bet out on the river and enforce a one-bet-per-round tempo if he will call down with high card (not-so high card?) but check some pairs on on the end. If your opponent likes to try a bluff raise on the river, be more inclined to bet out with your pairs. If he likes to lead the betting through the turn but then fold on the river, better to check and let him try to bluff one more time. When I have no idea what my opponent's tendencies are, I tend to check-call with one pair and either lead or check-raise with bigger hands.

The other players at the table will probably think you're a calling station while admiring the button's nerve (if you lose) or admire your hand-reading skills while figuring the button for a loose cannon (if you win). You may catch some flak, but scrooum. Chalk it up to playing a kinda crappy hand that may be good against an aggressive player who has position on you. Whatever happens, be prepared to forecast the conclusion the other players will draw and stay one step ahead of them.