View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Standard \'Please Hear Me Out & Help Me\' Post. Please.

Thanks Cerril, I appreciate the comments.

While I don't have PT yet, I do keep running notes on hands whenever I enter a pot (VP$IP). If it ends up being a hand I am not sure on, I email it to myself and review it. I feel that I have a good feel for what is going on despite no PT stats.

re. "during my 10k hand, -150BB downswing. I found some holes in my game (I was showing down too many high card hands)"

What is a decent 'high card hand' % to be showing down? In general, I will not showdown a high card hand vs more than 1 opponent -- ~1 in 6 times. I will do it perhaps 50% of the time vs 1 opponent, depends on feel and if my opponent has seen me lay down to a raise and how many face cards are on board.

More specifically, what did you learn from analyzing those high-card hands? What are some of the basic rules you use when showing down high card hands (obviously there will be exceptions to your rules based on specific table conditions but just looking for what guidelines you use now)?

I have been playing very tight pre-flop at 3/6. Perhaps too tight. I was running under 10% entering pots away from calling a raise from the BB vs late opener type of play. I was tracking these stats after I read Mason Malmuths chapter on playing 15% of hands in Poker Essays 2. Using the PartyPoker calculation, I am consistently around 15% with a range of 12-21%. However, as I am sure you know, Party counts blinds in its calculations.

I feel very good about my pre-flop play, opening for raises when in position and limping if good multiway hand and limpers in front of me (middle pairs, suited connectors 98 or better).

My suspicion is that I am doing something wrong after the flop given how often I win small pots but lose large pots. I suspect this is being exacerbated by just a big bad luck downswing where I am just not making my flushes and I am paying off 2 pairs when I have TPTK.

I am currently trying to re-think my play on TPTK hands. How to bet for value on the river yet not get caught in reverse implied odds situations. An opponents check-raise on the river is one time I am laying down slightly more. In my experience, I have yet to run into a bluff check-raise on the river. If they were bluffing, they would just bet to avoid having it get checked through.

Net net, my showdown numbers are ugly right now. But I am getting a lot of money in consistently as favorite going to river. I have been giving 1 extra bet away too much when drawn out on and I am conscious of this now but 1 extra bet once in a while isn't the meat of my recent problems.

btw, the 2/4 game is very easy for me... its just the 3/6 game that owns me right now.

thanks for your comments...