View Single Post
Old 01-15-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: A Microsoft Interview Question (aka basic Bayes\' Theorem)

[ QUOTE ]

You'd be surprised how many people show up with "solid" resumes for CODING positions, yet balk when you ask them to write a function in C that calculates the fibonacci series. "Can I do it in pseudocode?" "Do I have to get the syntax right?" "Can I just tell you how to do it?"

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense or anything here Ed, but I think you are way off here. I’ve worked as a coder for about 6 years now, with no college education or any of that jazz. I don’t think there is anything wrong about writing such functions in pseudocode… I mean, when are they going to have to code something that trivial from scratch, and when wont they have the resources right there in front of them? I don’t think its knowing code the counts, but more of knowing how to apply the coding to the app (process or writing the app etc). I mean, come on, now a days it takes 2 days to learn the syntax of a language. They are all pretty much the same.

I am a little touchy on this subject. My first 4 years of coding I worked for a great company out of boston. Lots of major schools there and anyone who showed up to our door from MIT got job. While some of these guys knew theyre [censored], a lot were right out of the classroom with no experience and couldn’t code for [censored]. Sorry to get way off subject…

Thanks!