View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: did i make the right call

Let's start from the beginning. First of all, it would be helpful to know the position of the limper and any reads you might have of him. If he's in EP and limps, has he done that before? If not, he could be slowplaying something. It's also helpful to know the stack sizes of the blinds as that can influence your pre-flop decision and, if you choose to raise, the amount of such.

With 99 and a limper you can play it safe and limp in, or you can raise. If you think you can win the pot pre-flop then a raise is certainly in order. If you think you'll be called by the limper because he's loose, or simply because he has a big stack and doesn't mind splashing around a bit, you might consider just limping.

You chose to raise, but you didn't raise enough. With one limper in the pot (especially a big stack) you need to make it 4-5XBB (8000-10000). You're raise of 5000 gave the BB over 3 to 1 odds to call. Presuming he has a decent stack, he might call with a fairly wide range of hands. Even if the BB doesn't call, you're giving the limper over 3 to 1 odds so you can be assured that he will call. So all you've really done is make it a little less appealing for the blinds to call while making this a more expensive hand for you to play.

On the flop, you say that you "raise 2k". I presume you mean that you bet 2K and the limper checked to you. Correct? There is 13K in the pot and you bet 2K. That's very, very weak. Even heads up you need to bet more than that - I'd say around 1/2 to 2/3 the pot (around 6-9K). This is enough that it says you like your hand (your bet doesn't really say that) and doesn't give him proper odds of he's on a draw.

On the turn, the pot is 17K and you have 27K left. Again, you should bet 1/2 to 2/3 the pot. This would be 9-12K. If he's on a draw, he shouldn't call. He might have slow played a big pair and, therefore, you'd like to offer him what seems like a good price to stay in the hand. You ask if you made the "right call". I presume you mean should you have pushed. I wouldn't have done so simply because I want more of his chips and I think pushing SHOULD win me the hand right then and not allow me to win anything else. I'm willing to take the chance that he draws out on me as long as I make it incorrect for him to do so (by making the bet suggested above).

There is absolutely no way you should even consider folding. The only hand you are behind on the turn is a really strange limp with T7 or 75 giving him a straight. You got all of your chips in the pot while a big favorite. He made the incorrect decision to call. Over time, this will be profitable for you and expensive for him. But by making more correctly sized bets, you'll make it even more profitable for yourself.

Welcome to the board.