View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: The biggest fish

[ QUOTE ]
One of my favourite statistics in Pokertracker is to check under "Summary" which players are the really big fish.

I've only got 3000 hands in Pokertracker. My biggest fish caught so far: I dont know if i should mention his name now... anyway he lost $84 in 368 hands at a whopping (22.9) BB/100.

I guess you guys with 100k hands + must have some really interesting stats here...

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if you had recent stats on me you'd call me a fish too. Last night I played ~270 hands of $1/2 and lost 47.5 BB, or a GINORMOUS -17.6 BB/100. How did this happen? I caught a lot of draws that missed and I caught some huge hands that were up against monsters.

The winrate statistic does not begin to be significant until at least 100k hands, and you should be very careful when using it to classify someone as a fish. You are better to use VP$IP (Voluntarily Put $ In Pot), PFR (Preflop Raise %), and AF-TOT (total postflop aggression). My stats for those 270 hands were VP$IP 19, PFR 9, and AF-TOT 1.9. I'm not saying I'm any good ($1/2 has kicked my ass everytime I've tried it), but certainly not a fish.

Using winrate over a small sample to judge someone's ability is a good example of results-oriented thinking. Don't do it.