View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Winning the Party Super Monday (LONG, oh so long)

"This often results in me having to rely on some large all-in confrontations to do well in tournaments"

This is the problem I had in party multis for the longest time as well; I found this style of play would often get me to the money (or close), but rarely in a position to do much from there, barring a perfect day. Your points regarding the smaller than normal raises are absolutely correct; however, I explained my rationale (right or wrong) in some of the other posts (basically, keeping the pot size such that there is some postflop play during the quickly accelerating stages of the event). I guess the question is simply how well they worked; in my experience on party, they do ok. You will probably also note that once stacks became relatively larger compared to the blinds, most of my raises moved up to a more standard 3x big blind.

The style I use does definitely revolve around the cluelessness of party players and their lack of observation (many times they just see "raise" and don't really consider the amount); there are a lot of level 1 players on party and I rely heavily on taking advantage of their level 1 thinking (What do I have? Nothing? Fold.).

Dealing with observant players does require some touch and difficult decisions (as you saw when I called the reraise all in with A7o); however, the sad truth is that there's no really easy way to beat observant players; I like my style better than waiting for big hands to deal with them, since my style forces them to gamble more and take chances, whereas waiting for a big hand leaves observant players with nothing to worry about from you (since they either have a monster and play, or a marginal type hand and fold, observing you to be tight).