View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Winning the Party Super Monday (LONG, oh so long)

Congrats on the super win. I have some unfinished business in this tournament (2nd place)... Maybe one day I'll get revenge.

Anyhow, your play in general strikes me as odd. Obviously you have a strategy that will allow you, on any given day, to win any tournament given the right turn of events. Sure, i suppose in theory everyone could have that perfect day, but your style allows you to accumulate chips rapidly when things are going your way.

Anyhow, let me offer a critique to your style.

1) Your raise amounts are way too small. You opt for lots of little baby raises and limp raises and 'punishing limpers' or whatever. Basically, you play a style of poker that is very loose and not very strong, if that makes any sense. You are aggressive, but very often there will be a limper and you will raise to something like 2.5xBB with crap. I think you should pick your spots more selectively.

2) You spew too many chips. The fact is, you are in so many marginal situations, and for you to be successful you need to come out ahead a lot. You were able to make some nice laydowns (I did not read the whole thing). The good thing about your style is that especially early in the tournament you were often pure bluffing with crap, which makes it very easy to fold. The bad thing is, you were fortunate to not run into too many big hands.

3) The party field consists of many unobservant players. An observent player would play back at you much more. Just keep that in mind.

I subscribe to a much more tight approach. This often results in me having to rely on some large all-in confrontations to do well in tournaments... Which is not always a good thing.

Anyhow, I wouldn't change your style... Its yours and it works... I would however analyze your play here quite a bit... especially your raise amounts.

-Jason