View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Is this hand indicitive of why I\'m terrible at tournaments?

1. As others have already emphasized, folding this pre-flop is the best option. From my experiecne, these type of hands get into more trouble that they pay off. I especially wouldn't do this with a stack of only 2200 -- I would want to be well above average before I start playing these type of hands.

2. You say:
[ QUOTE ]
I know QJ and T9 are both distinct possibilities here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its helpful to fully analyze the hand to understand all of the possibilities here.

What are the possible starting hands he would push with on the flop?
You are behind these starting hands:
QQ, JJ, QJ, T9, Q8, 88.
QQ and JJ (and maybe 88) are unlikely, because these hands would have been raised PF. So that leaves 4 possible limping hands (including 88) that you are already behind.

Other possible starting hands that he might push with, because the flop hit him (or came close) and he has additional outs (with # outs, and approximate % chance of hitting on turn or river):
AQ (5 outs, 20%), KQ (5 outs, 20%), QT (9 outs, 35%), Q9 (9 outs, 35%), KT (8 outs, 32%).

I would also include TT and 99 as possible starting hands that he might limp with (although TT, and maybe even 99, is probably a raise PF) and push on the basis that you are on a draw, and each have 6 outs to beat you.

So, that's 4 hands that your are behind, and 7 hands that you are ahead but he has outs.

As played, when he goes all in, the pot is 2650 and you have only 900 left. This is, without a doubt, a call because you are getting 3 to 1 on your money with 2 pair.

However, there is another way to play this that might have won the pot for you:

3. Instead of raising to 900 after his 300 bet, why not just go all in? With his 300 bet on the flop, the pot is 850. You have only 900 left after your raise to 900, and you are clearly committed at 3:1 if he goes all in after your 900 bet. An all-in bet by you for 1800 after his 300 bet on the flop, rather than just a raise to 900, would still give you some folding equity, since he will have to pay 1800 more to win the 2650 pot -- he's only getting 1.5 to 1 on his money. In addition, an all-in bet signals that your hand is ahead of his (which it was) because you're willing to risk your tournament life on that flop. This is how you can "play it faster" and maybe win the pot by forcing him to fold. You probably gave up any folding equity by only raising half your stack, rather than going all in (which you were bound to do anyway when he goes all in).