View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Wrong question

"If thats true then there is little to nill hope for a Palestinian state in the future...You cant give the Palestinians a state which they cant control, correct??"

Well the counter argument is that they can;t control it without a state, and especially not after their security infrastructure has been largely destroyed. The other point would be that it's next to impossible to quell an insurgency movement that has significant popular support, and that that popular support won't go away without a significant improvement in living conditions etc. The British never managed to destroy the IRA for example, and if they had have made destorying them a condition of devolved government that wouldn;t ahve worked either.

"I mean if the alternative is 30 more years of violence death and no home land for the Palestinians ...isnt it worth a civil war?? If Israel intervened there is no serious way Hamas could put up much of a fight,I mean if ALL the gloves came off. "

I'm not sure it would be a winnable one. Taking all the gloves off didn;t work in Vietnam for example despite that massive disparity in forces. A political solution that will draw support away from extreme methods, eg a truce followed by disarmamanet in return for a state, is what is needed.