View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Mid East peace priming the process

"Please be realistic and not make ridiculous comments like "Israel should pull back to the 67' border immediately" bc that simply isnt gonna happen with Sharon in power so there is no reason for us to discuss it."

If there's no point discussing the impossible then there's no point discussing Abbas crushing Hamas, as even if he tried, it would be politically and militarily impossible, especially in Gaza, and likely wind up with him getting killed and/or a civil war. In the short term, some token arrests are about as much as he will be able to do, and securing a truce on both sides is a more reasonable and attainable goal. In the longer term, if conditions ease enough and people feel Abbas is getting them somewhere, support for Hamas might fall enough to make a wider crackdown possible, should it be necessary, although I still don;t see the fullscale destruction of Hamas and if it were attempted I don't think it would be successful.

Your suggestions for measures are reasonable although as you would assume I think they should go further and faster.