Thread: O8 hand
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Re: O8 hand

[ QUOTE ]
In Cappelletti's O8 book, one thing that he points out is that hands with big pairs play well heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Billy - I think that's probably true. But it's nice to have a couple of low cards to go along with the big pair.

[ QUOTE ]
While there is plenty in that book that I disagree with, it seems that if you can get a hand like this heads up (which admittedly doesn't seem to be the case here) this hand has a lot of value h/u.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this: Pull the four cards of the hand out of the deck:
T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Then pull another hand out of the deck. A hand with an ace and at least one low card out of the deck. How about:
A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
I've chosen a hand you'd have to be crazy to play in a full game, a horrid hand.

Now shuffle the 44 cards left in the stub. There are enough cards left to turn over eight 5-card boards. Deal them out five cards at a time. Look at each of the eight 5-card boards and decide which of the four card hands, TQQKd, or A789n, has the best of it. Make three piles:
• TQQKd scoops
• A789n scoops
• TQQKd and A789n split

Put each 5-card board on one of the piles. The long and the short of it is when you are done, the pile that will have the most cards is the A789n scoops pile. Try it for yourself if you don't believe me. If you make the A789 hand suited, it does even better.

Your conclusion should be the same as mine, that TQQKd is not a very good one-on-one hand. I don't think it's a good one-on-two or one-on-three hand either, assuming your opponents are not idiots.

I don't like A789n much either, but heads-up it beats the beejeebers our of TQQKd - and so do most other hands a reasonably skilled opponent would play when you hold TQQKd.

Buzz